THEATRE DEPARTMENT RULES AND POLICIES
- Class attendance is mandatory, good attendance is important for the success of the group. Just like any class, an absence requires an explanation in writing. Absences should be limited to reasons of illness or serious emergency. If you are absent from class during the school day, a slip from the office/Black Top provides the code (excused or unexcused) for an absence.
- An absence for an extra-curricular rehearsal or performance also requires notification to the director. If you will be absent from an extra-curricular rehearsal or performance it is your responsibility to notify the director in advance in writing. In the event that a student does not comply with the school’s attendance policy, that student may be removed from the current production and prohibited from participating in any other department productions, clubs or other events.
- Tardiness will also not be tolerated.
AFTER SCHOOL PARTICIPATION POLICY
- If you are absent from school, you may not participate in any school activities after school for that day.
- In order to participate in after school or evening activities, you must be in school by 9:05 and you must be present for at least the equivalent of ½ day. Students who are sent home from school early by the nurse may not participate in after-school activities.
All students must maintain a reasonable GPA in order to participate in any extracurricular activity. If a student has any E’s on a report card, he/she cannot participate in extracurricular activities until the next report card.
Students are allowed to participate in any other extracurricular activities outside of the Theatre Department, providing that the schedules do not conflict. Small conflicts may be negotiable (at the discretion of the director); however, in the event of serious conflicts, the student must make a choice as to which activity they will participate. If the student chooses an activity outside of the Theatre Department, this will have no impact on future participation and the student is eligible to participate in the next theatre opportunity.
However, if a student is currently active in a department project, and then chooses to withdraw his/her participation before the completion of that current project, that student will go on probation in the department. If a student goes on probation, he/she may be ineligible to participate in all Theatre Department productions for the remainder of the school year at the discretion of the Theatre Department director.
FOOD AND BEVERAGE POLICY
There is no food or drink allowed in the theatre, other than water, in the theatre spaces other than for use in production work. The only exception to this policy is special approval by the director.
ATTENDANCE AT REHEARSALS
All rehearsals are closed rehearsals. No students, friends, or family members will be allowed to attend rehearsals without special permission from the director.
SCENE NIGHT ATTENDANCE AND ETIQUETTE
The purpose of our performing groups is to provide quality theatrical performances for the school and community. Performances are a large part of assessments. All members of a class ensemble are expected to be in attendance for every scene night. Just like academic classes, a missed assessment (scene night) requires a make-up assignment. While a make-up assignment will not restore the full credit of a missed performance, it will provide partial credit for excused absences. An unexcused absence from a concert or performance will result in a zero for the assignment.
- Each performer must be in formal performance attire (as mandated by the teacher) during the entire performance and must remain seated with other performers in the designated area of the Black Box theatre.
- As part of the audience it is our responsibility to show proper behavior:
- Be an appreciative audience: applaud after each piece.
- Be a supportive audience: acknowledge all performers and compliment them after the performance.
- Be an intelligent audience: look for ideas you can use and skills you would like to develop.
- Talking during another performance is never acceptable. Be polite. All eyes are on you, the performers, both on and off stage.
CLASSROOM AND PERFORMANCE ATTIRE
All students are required to provide a clean black shirt and black pants for class time and scene night performances (if required by teacher). Performance black clothing items may be more formal than classroom black clothing items.
Students working in technical theatre and crew for productions / events will also be required to dress in standard tech black clothing. Students are responsible for providing these clothing items as well. Students are also required to have appropriate footwear for rehearsal and stage work.
Discount Dance Supply - Online Store for Footwear, Rehearsal Skirts and Other Attire
CLASSROOM MATERIALS (RECOMMENDED)
- It is strongly recommended for theatre students to purchase character / jazz shoes. It is also helpful for women to have a long / flowing skirt available for class work and rehearsals.
- A digital tape recorder (optional) – will be helpful for voice work in Voice Class and for recording vocal parts in Musical Theatre Acting as well as participation in any musicals.
- Students may also be required to purchase scripts or borrow scripts from the public library as necessary. Students can contact teacher if he/she needs assistance with this.